Jurong administration is likely to build a two-storey complex in the next two years at the place of the Block 493 market at Jurong West Street 41, which was reduced to ashes after a man set fire to styrofoam boxes in the old building.
It is reported that Jurong GRC MP Ang Wei Neng, during the official opening of a temporary market on Sunday, said that the new complex will house a market as well as eldercare facilities. The fully government funded complex is expected to cost around S$6.2 million and the construction is scheduled to begin by mid-2017.
Currently, the temporary market has all the stalls that were raved by the October fire, reported the Channel News Asia. Ang, who previously visited the disaster scene, told reporters that affected stall owners will be helped to set up their business in somewhere else.
On 11 October, 300 residents were evacuated after a fire broke out at the market and coffee shop at Block 493. The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said that it immediately dispatched three fire engines, four red rhinos, seven support vehicles and four ambulances at the site to control the fire. "At the height of the fire, the roof of the wet market collapsed and the exterior side wall of a coffee shop at Blk 494, which was directly facing the raging blaze, sustained fire damage," added SCDF.