Malayalees or Keralites all across the globe are set to celebrate the Hindu New Year, which is called Vishu in Malayalam on April 14. Vishu is celebrated by the people of Kerala and the Tulunadu region of coastal Karnataka.
Vishu celebration is characterised by prayer rituals, cultural performances, a traditional setting named Vishu Kani that means things that are seen first in the morning and a delicious feast named sadhya. According to the tradition, if a person sees joyful things as kani on Vishu day, the year will be filled with good experiences.
Malayali Hindus worship Lord Vishnu or Lord Krishna on the day and also visit temples to have a Vishukkani Kazhcha. Vishu is observed in the early hours of the day in the house of God.
While Kerala in south India witnesses the best Vishu celebrations, several countries outside India also celebrate the festival with great enthusiasm. Singapore is one such country. It has a good number of Malayalee residents and therefore every year it hosts grand Vishu celebrations.
This year, the Indian Cultural Association of Singapore (ICA) has organized the Vishu celebration at the Sembawang Community Club on April 23. The event will include Indian cultural dance performances, like Kathak, Odissi and Bhangra, by various Indian ethnic groups. The visitors will also be treated to the famous Vishu feast called Sadhya.
Khaw Boon Wan, the Coordinating Minister for infrastructure and Minister for Transport will be present at the event to grace the celebrations. The tickets for this event are priced at $15.
Apart from celebrating Vishu with food and other rituals, people also share greetings of the festival with their near and dear ones. IBTimes Singapore has compiled some of the best wishes you can share with families and friends.
- From Vishukkani to Vishu Sadya, may you be able to enjoy the special moments of the festival with your family. Happy Vishu.
- Let's welcome Vishu with new hope at heart and with great enthusiasm, anticipation and eagerness.
- May Lord Krishna bring peace to your home and heart now and always. Happy Vishu.
- Let this Vishu give you the strength to do all that you dreamed to do during last year but didn't dare to do.
- Happy Vishu! Let this be a delightful year, filled with delightful things in each of its days.
- May Lord Vinayagar shower his divine blessings on you and fill your life with new hopes and endless celebrations!
- May you be able to handle the ups and downs that you come across in life. Happy Vishu 2017.
- The God created the world on this day for his followers. May on this day you find new hope and happiness at your heart to make your life beautiful! Happy Vishu Kani!
- Another Vishu is here, lets banish our worries and start afresh.Wishing you happiness all through, may God take away all your stress. Happy Vishu!
- On this Vishu wish you a plentiful year. May all your dreams and desires come true. Happy Vishu 2017!
- On this Vishu take a vow to make life beautiful and exciting by accepting both its sorrow and happiness. Happy Vishu!