Onam, the biggest and most important festivals of Kerala is around the corner, and all the Malayalis across the globe are ready to celebrate the auspicious day with great joy and enthusiasm. The 10-day festival includes grand celebrations being held in every household in the state.
According to legend, Onam signifies the home coming of Asura King Mahabali, who is believed to be the most successful ruler in mythology. Under his reign, the land flourished and the people were extremely happy with him. He was granted permission to visit his people every year before being sent to the netherworld (Pathalam) by Lord Vishnu in his avatar of Vamana.
The first day of the festival is called Atham. However, Uthradom is the day when Mahabali is believed to arrive on earth, and this year it falls on September 3. Thiru Onam is the last and most important day of the festival and this year it falls on September 4. According to history, this is the day when Mahabali is believed to visit the homes of his subjects. On this day, the devotees prepare a grand feast called Onam Sadhya that comprises a 26-dish vegetarian feast.
On this occasion, IBTimes Singapore has handpicked top 10 messages that you can share with your friends and families during the festival.
- Lets welcome King Mahabali, who comes to visit his subjects once in a year during the festival season of Onam. May you be blessed with the greetings and wishes of the day. Happy Onam to you and your family.
- May this Onam be the most memorable day in your life,
With some cherishable moments that you can carry forward.
Spend the day with family.
- The festival of Pokkalam, Sadya, Thiruvathirakali is here,
A time to celebrate and enjoy with friends and family,
May you be able to spend the day in the best ways possible,
Happy Onam 2017
- May the God bless you and fill your heart with joy and happiness. May the colour and lights of Onam fill your home with happiness and joy. Have the most beautiful Onam this year.
- Happiness is spending time with cousins just like the good old days,
The auspicious festival Onam is here for us to be with our family,
Celebrate the day with a lot of happy moments.
Happy Onam to my dear ones.
- The festival of Kerala is here,
A unique day celebrated by people of all religions,
Wishing you the warm greetings of the special day.
Happy Onam to all.
- Hope this Onam brings in good fortune and abounding happiness to you. Wish you and your family a frivolous Onam. Happy Onam!
- May this be an Onam with Happiness and Prosperity.
Let the festival of Onam be celebrated by every Malayali, whoever and where ever they may be.
- One more Onam is coming to remind us
Maveli's golden rule. Let me take the pleasure to wish you
and your family a very happy Onam festival!
- No greeting card to give. No sweet flowers to send. No cute graphics to forward. Just a loving HEART of mine saying. Wishing all your family members a Happy Onam!