Friends are for life, but a true friend is extremely hard to find. However, people who are successful in finding one are truly blessed and that surely calls for a celebration. Thus, in order to celebrate the essence of true friendship, the United Nations declared 30 July as International Friendship Day.
But, the youngsters prefer to celebrate it on the first Sunday of August and dedicate the day to the eternal bond of trust and love. People across the globe celebrate the day with their best friends by exchanging gifts, cards and flowers. They also tie friendship bands to honour the unique relationship. This year Friendship Day falls on 6 August.
To commemorate the day, IBTimes Singapore has compiled a list of top 10 quotes and messages to celebrate the everlasting bond.
- "The best friend is the man who in wishing me well wishes it for my sake." - Aristotle
- "The better part of one's life consists of his friendships." - Abraham Lincoln
- "Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light." - Helen Keller
- "Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into friend." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
- "Anybody can sympathise with the sufferings of a friend, but it requires a very fine nature to sympathise with a friend's success." - Oscar Wilde
- "Friendship is always a sweet responsibility, never an opportunity." - Khalil Gibran
- "True friendship is like sound health; the value of it is seldom known until it be lost." - Charles Caleb Colton
- "A real friend is one who walks in when the rest of the world walks out." - Walter Winchell
- "Your friend is the man who knows all about you, and still likes you." - Elbert Hubbard
- "Don't walk in front of me. I may not follow. Don't walk behind me, I may not lead. Walk beside me and be my friend." - Albert Camus