Avid gamers from NES community have posted a couple of nifty ways to install new games on your ageing NES Classic console. If you are bored with playing the older games, here's an ultra-easy way to add new games to the NES Classic Mini.
With due credit to the Reddit user 'iLLNiSS' we can now accomplish this feat using an easy Softmod called "hakchi2". Note: IBTimes SG will not be held liable for any damage to device during or after the installation of hakchi2 for modifying the stock ROM on your NES Classic. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
Check out the complete step-by-step DIY guide posted below:
- You must be running Windows 7 or higher on your desktop computer.
- You will also need .NET Framework 3.5 to be installed on your PC, before you proceed.
Steps to install new games on NES Classic Mini using hakchi2 method
- Download hakchi2 from the link provided and extract the contents to a new folder on your NES console. Now run the hakchi2.exe file.
- Browse the list of saved game ROMs on your NES console and decide which ones you wish to keep. You may delete the rest depending upon the storage constraints.
- Now, search for the box art using Google search by hitting the Google button in the GUI. You may add missing box art for all your existing games for ease of access.
- Connect your NES Classic to your computer with micro-USB cable and ensure the console is turned off.
- Now, boot into FEL mode as follows: Press and hold the reset button on the front of the NES device. Simultaneously, press the Power button for a moment and release it. Wait for a few seconds, before releasing the reset button. Note: You will not see any notifications or alerts on the console screen or PC. Just proceed to the next step.
- Just hit the sync button in the hakchi2 program and you are all set. In case you didn't boot into FEL mode correctly, you will see a pop-up message saying so.
- Finally, reboot the NES Classic Mini and you can enjoy all the new games on your console.