A video of Kim Han Sol, son of the murdered North Korean believed to be Kim Jong Nam, has gone viral on social media and has grabbed several eye balls. The 40-second clip titled KHS Video was uploaded on the YouTube page of a group called Cheollima Civil Defense (CCD) on Tuesday.
"My name is Kim Han Sol, from North Korea, part of the Kim family," the man says in the video.
"My father has been killed a few days ago. I'm currently with my mother and my sister. We are very grateful to ...," he says, before the audio cuts off. He signs off by saying: "We hope this gets better soon."
The man shows his passport as proof of his identity in the video but his information was blacked out. The South Korean intelligence agency has confirmed the individual on the video is Kim Han Sol.
"The man is indeed Kim Han-Sol," a spokesman for the National Intelligence Service told AFP. However, the spokesman declined to give further details, including Kim's current whereabouts or any information about CCD.
According to Channel NewsAsia, Do Hee Youn, an activist with the Citizens Coalition for Human Rights of Abductees and North Korean Refugees, has also confirmed that the man in the video is Kim Han Sol.
The video was also posted on CCD's website, where it said that it has assisted Kim Jong-nam's family with their relocation. The group also expressed gratitude for the "emergency humanitarian assistance" from China, the US, the Netherlands and a fourth government it refrained from revealing.
"Cheollima Civil Defense responded last month to an emergency request by survivors of the family of Kim Jong Nam for extraction and protection. The three family members were met quickly and relocated to safety," the statement on the group's website said.
"We have in the past addressed other urgent needs for protection. This will be the first and last statement on this particular matter, and the present whereabouts of this family will not be addressed," the statement added.
"We publicly express our gratitude for the emergency humanitarian assistance afforded to us in protecting this family by the governments of the Kingdom of the Netherlands, the People's Republic of China, the United States of America, and a fourth government to remain unnamed."
When asked about the group, Malaysia's police chief said that he was not aware of the group. Inspector-General of Police Khalid Abu Bakar refrained himself from commenting about Kim Jong Nam's family. But, he said the police have their "own means of contacting the family".
Reports said the 21-year-old Han-Sol is believed to have graduated from Sciences Po university in Paris and had been living in exile with his parents in Macau. But, he suddenly disappeared from there along with his mother and sister following the Kim Jong Nam probe.