Xiaomi Mi5 users can now root their devices to gain super-user access on their handsets running Android 5.1 Lollipop or any Marshmallow firmware. Rooting your device gives you access to a wide-range of custom ROMs with advanced features like installing custom themes and user interface, changing battery indicator looks and so on.
Additionally, you will be able to move apps from internal storage to SD card, modify system files, and install battery optimisation or performance optimisation tools on your rooted handset. Now that you have understood the benefits of rooting, here's a simple step-by-step guide to root your Xiaomi Mi5 phone using SuperSU tool.
- Ensure you have downloaded the latest USB drivers for the Xiaomi Mi5 handset.
- Backup your important data and settings on the phone to prevent unexpected data loss during or after rooting the device.
- Verify that USB Debugging mode is enabled on your phone by going to Settings > Developer Options. If the option is not available, go to Settings > About Phone and tap for about 7-8 times on the build number to unlock access to developer options. You can now enable the toggle for USB Debugging mode and then hit OK to confirm the action.
- Make sure your device is factory unlocked and its bootloader is also unlocked.
- You need any custom recovery tool like CWM or TWRP to be installed on your phone, before trying to install SuperSU.
Steps to root Xiaomi Mi5 using SuperSU
Step 1: Download the SuperSU Root package (SuperSU.zip) to your computer.
Step 2: Connect your phone to computer with USB cable.
Step 3: Copy/paste the downloaded SuperSU.zip file to the root folder on your phone's internal storage.
Step 4: Power off the phone and disconnect its USB cable from computer.
Step 5: Boot the device into Recovery Mode (TWRP) by pressing and holding the Volume Down and Power buttons together.
Step 6: In Recovery screen, tap Install and then choose the zip file which you copied earlier to your phone's memory in Step 3.
Step 7: Select Swipe to Confirm Flash option by swiping across the screen and the root installation should now begin.
Step 8: Wait until the installation completes and then reboot your device by taping the 'Reboot System' button.
That's it. Your Xiaomi Mi5 is now successfully rooted using SuperSU package. Verify if SuperSU is added to the apps list to confirm a successful root installation.
[Source: MIUI Forums]