Sony Xperia Z users can now update their phone to Android 7.1.1 Nougat, thanks to the release of CyanogenMod 14.1 ROM by the industrious Android custom ROM developers. With Sony unlikely to release any further software updates for the ageing smartphone, the arrival of Android 7.1.1 CM14.1 ROM gains precedence for the Xperia Z.
As the ROM is not an official release by Sony, you will need a custom recovery tool like ClockworkMod (CWM) or Team Win Recovery Project (TWRP) to flash the ROM and Google Apps zip files on the Xperia Z.
IBTimes SG reminds readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to your device during or after the Android 7.1.1 CM 14.1 ROM installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- Ensure that you have access to the computer and the original USB cable.
- Enable USB Debugging mode on your phone via Developer Options as follows: Go to menu > settings > about phone and then tap seven times repeatedly on the firmware build number. The USB debugging mode will now be accessible via menu > settings > Developer Options.
- Verify that your smartphone has at least 80% battery charge before you proceed with the installation procedure. Otherwise, you may lose data if your device shuts down abruptly due to low battery charge.
Steps to install Android 7.1.1 Nougat on Sony Xperia Z
- Download the Android 7.1.1 CM14.1 ROM and Google Apps package to your computer, using the download links provided. It is advisable to save the downloaded files to the desktop for ease of access.
- Turn on your Xperia Z and connect it to the computer via USB cable.
- Choose the downloaded files on the desktop and then copy them from the computer to your Xperia Z.
- Disconnect the USB cable from the computer. Turn off the phone by pressing and holding the Power key for a few seconds.
- Now boot the Xperia phone into recovery mode by pressing and holding the Power and Volume Down buttons together until the device vibrates. Then release the Power button, but continue holding Volume down to boot into recovery mode.
- Once you enter recovery mode, perform wipe data factory reset, wipe cache partition and then wipe dalvik cache.
- Wait until the wipe process completes and then you can start the firmware installation process. Select Install zip from SD card, followed by Choose zip from SD card.
- You can now browse and select the Android 7.1.1 CM14.1 ROM to install the same.
- Repeat the previous step to install Google Apps package on your Xperia handset.
- Once Gapps is also installed, return to the main recovery menu and tap on Reboot system now.
That's it. Android 7.1.1 CyanogenMod 14.1 ROM is now successfully installed on your Sony Xperia Z.