Team Carbon returns to spotlight with the release of Android 7.1.1 Nougat based CarbonROM for Sony Xperia Z3. As the ROM is fully based on Android Open Source Project (AOSP), it brings stock-like Android experience with great customisable features to users.
As this is a third-party custom ROM and not an official release by Sony, its installation requires your device to be rooted with any custom recovery software like ClockworkMod (CWM) or Team Win Project (TWRP) installed.
IBTimes SG reminds readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to your device during or after the Android 7.1.1 CarbonROM installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- Ensure that you have access to the computer and the original USB cable.
- Enable USB Debugging mode on your phone via Developer Options as follows: Go to menu > settings > about phone and then tap seven times repeatedly on the firmware build number. The USB debugging mode will now be accessible via menu > settings > Developer Options.
- Verify that your Xperia Z3 is rooted and has ClockworkMod recovery installed
- Your phone's bootloader must be unlocked, else you will not be able to install this ROM
- Verify that your smartphone has at least 80% battery charge before you proceed with the installation procedure. Otherwise, you may lose data if your device shuts down abruptly due to low battery charge.
Steps to install Android 7.1.1 Nougat on Sony Xperia Z3
- Download the Android 7.1.1 CarbonROM and Google Apps package to your computer, using the download links provided. It is advisable to save the downloaded files to the desktop for ease of access.
- Turn on your Xperia Z3 and connect it to the computer via USB cable.
- Copy and paste the downloaded Android 7.1.1 CarbonROM zip and Google Apps zip files to the root folder of SD card on your Xperia Z3.
- Copy/paste the boot.img file to android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory.
- Disconnect the USB cable from the computer. Turn off the phone by pressing and holding the Power key for a few seconds.
- Now boot the Xperia phone into Bootloader mode by pressing and holding the Volume Up button while connecting the phone to the computer via USB cable. Wait until the phone's LED turns blue and the device will now boot into Bootloader mode.
- Once you enter Fastboot mode, go to android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory and launch the command prompt (hold Shift and right-click > Open Command Prompt).
- Now enter the following command and hit Enter:
fastboot flash boot boot.img
- Then type the following command and hit Enter:
- Boot the Xperia Z3 into recovery mode: Turn on the phone while pressing Volume Up or Volume Down buttons a few times until the LED light turns pink or any other colour.
- Once you are in recovery mode, perform a full data wipe by choosing wipe data/factory reset. Also, perform 'wipe cache partition'. Finally, go to the advanced menu in CWM recovery and choose 'wipe dalvik cache'.
- Wait until the wipe process completes and then select Install zip from SD card, followed by Choose zip from SD card.
- You can now browse and select the Android 7.1.1 CarbonROM to install the same.
- Repeat the previous step to install Google Apps package on your Xperia handset.
- Once Gapps is also installed, select "+++++GO Back+++++" to return to the main recovery menu and then tap on Reboot system now.
That's it. Android 7.1.1 CarbonROM is now successfully installed on your Sony Xperia Z.