Samsung Galaxy S2 (GTI9100) users can now enjoy Android 7.1.1 Nougat experience on their handset, thanks to the release of a fully-functional Resurrection Remix custom ROM which is based on the latest Android Open Source Project (AOSP) release. This ROM comes with a bunch of exciting new features including Navbar and clock customisations, along with animations, gestures and lockscreen enhancements.
As this is not an official firmware release by Samsung, it requires your Galaxy S2 to be rooted with any custom recovery tool installed. Check out the full list of features ported into the Android 7.1.1 based Resurrection Remix ROM for Galaxy S2 (GTI9100) at the XDA source link provided below.
Interested users can install the latest Nougat-based CyanogenMod ROM on their Galaxy S2 I9100 by following the step-by-step guide provided below.
IBTimes SG reminds readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to device during or after the custom ROM installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- The instructions given in this guide are meant for international variant of Galaxy S2 (GTI9100) only. Verify device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone
- Ensure the phone has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the ROM
- Back up data and settings using a recommended custom recovery tool, like ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup. In Recovery, choose Backup and Restore and tap Backup
- Verify correct USB drivers for the phone are installed on the computer (download Galaxy S2 USB drivers)
- Enable USB Debugging mode via Settings > Developer Options (if running Android 4.0 or above) or Settings > Applications > Development (if running Android 2.3 or earlier)
- Ensure that the device is rooted with custom recovery (TWRP or CWM) installed and its bootloader is unlocked
Steps to install Android 7.1.1 Nougat based Resurrection Remix ROM on Galaxy S2 I9100
Step 1 - Download Android 7.1.1 Resurrection Remix custom ROM and Google Apps for Galaxy S2 on the computer.
Step 2 - Connect and mount the phone's USB mass storage on computer with the USB cable.
Step 3 - Copy the downloaded custom ROM zip file to the root folder on the phone's SD card.
Step 4 - Power off the phone and disconnect its USB cable from computer.
Step 5 - Boot the device into Recovery Mode by pressing Volume up, Home and Power buttons on your phone.
Step 6 - Once the phone enters into CWM Recovery, perform a full data wipe task by clicking Wipe Data/Factory Reset. Use the Volume keys to navigate between options and the Power button to select an option in the Recovery Mode.
Step 7 - Then, perform Wipe Cache Partition and wait until the process completes.
Step 8 - Perform Wipe Dalvik Cache as well. To do this, go to the 'advanced' option and then click Wipe Dalvik Cache. This will help in preventing boot loop issues or any boot ROM related errors during firmware installation.
Step 9 - Return to the main recovery menu and choose Install Zip from SD card.
Step 10 - Click Choose Zip fromSD card. Use volume keys to navigate to the Resurrection Remix ROM zip file that you copied earlier to your phone's SD card and choose it by tapping the Power button. Confirm the ROM installation on the next screen and the installation process will begin.
Note: Repeat Step 9 and Step 10 to install Google Apps (Gapps) as well.
Step 11 - Once both the Gapps and ROM are installed, choose "+++++Go Back+++++" and select Reboot System Now in the Recovery menu.
The phone will now reboot and the first boot may take about five minutes to complete. So, please be patient.
Your Galaxy S2 GT-I9100 is now running the latest Android 7.1.1 Nougat update via Resurrection Remix custom ROM. Go to Settings > About phone to verify the firmware version installed.