Galaxy Note Edge users with model number N915S can now update their device to latest Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow firmware, with due credit to the mobile carrier SK Telecom who recently rolled out the over-the-air (OTA) update for Korea.
Those who missed the OTA update or cannot wait for its official release in their region or country may go ahead and install this update manually, using the step-by-step guide posted below.
Key points to remember
- The instructions provided in this guide are meant for the Galaxy Note Edge N915S model only. Do not attempt installing this firmware on any other variant as it may inadvertently brick the device.
- Ensure the correct USB drivers are installed on the device as it will enable proper communication with the computer.
- Verify that USB debugging option is enabled on the device via Menu > Settings > Developer Options.
- Note: Installation of this official firmware will remove root access on the device if it is already rooted or running a custom ROM. Devices with custom ROM must do a factory reset before installing the new official firmware.
- Backup your important data and settings on the phone to prevent unexpected data loss during the firmware installation.
- Make sure the phone has at least 80% battery charge before you proceed.
Steps to install Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update on Galaxy Note Edge N915S via Odin
- Download the official Android 6.0.1 N915SKSU2DPD8 firmware using the link provided.
- Extract the contents of the downloaded zip file to the desktop and you will get the N915SKSU2DPD8tar.md5 firmware file.
- Now download Odin and extract it to your computer. Then install it by following the onscreen instructions.
- Wait until Odin is installed. Then launch it on the computer. Ensure that the Galaxy S5 USB drivers are installed on the PC.
- Turn off your phone and reboot it into download mode. When the device shuts down, press and hold the Power, Volume Down and Home buttons at the same time; then connect your device to the computer via USB cable.
- Odin will now communicate with the Galaxy S5 and the "added" message will be displayed on the screen. Wait until the ID: COM field turns yellow or blue. If not, reinstall USB drivers before repeating the steps from above.
- In Odin, select the AP option in order to load the Marshmallow (N915SKSU2DPD8tar.md5) firmware file.
- Verify that Re-Partition and Auto Reboot options are unchecked. Then click on the Start button and wait until the flashing process completes.
- Finally, the green "Pass" message will be displayed and the ID: COM box will turn green. It is now safe to remove the USB cable and reboot your device.
If you get a FAIL alert, just repeat the steps from the start and ensure all the prerequisites are met.
If you have installed this firmware on top of a custom ROM, then you should factory reset your phone as follows:
- Power off the phone and boot it into Recovery Mode.
- In Recovery Mode, select 'wipe data/ factory reset'.
Now boot it into Recovery by holding Volume Up, Home and Power button at the same time. Release all three buttons when the screen flickers or the Recovery Mode menu appears.
- Accept the confirmation that you would like to reset the phone and then reboot it into normal mode. Follow the onscreen instructions to complete the process.