After 17 long years, India stole the limelight yesterday at Miss World 2017 with Haryana girl Manushi Chhillar winning the crown, defeating England and Mexico. Last Indian to have been crowned Miss World was Priyanka Chopra in 2000.
Chopra is a popular actress now who is also famous for her role in American television drama thriller Quantico. She has also been listed among the World's 100 Most Powerful Women in 2017 by Forbes.
Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi took to Twitter to congratulate Chhillar. Priyanka Chopra also appreciated the Haryana girl's hard work and advised her to learn as much as she can.
Let us take a look at some lesser-known facts about the beauty queen:
- Manushi Chhillar was born in northern Indian state of Haryana. Both her parents are doctors.
- 20- year-old Manushi was studying medicine before taking a break to concentrate on Miss world 2017.
- She is the sixth Indian to be crowned Miss World, following Priyanka Chopra in 2000 and Yukta Mookhey in 1999.
- India is now on par with Venezuela in terms of most number of victories in Miss World history.
- In June Chhillar was crowned fbb Colors Femina Miss India World 2017. She was also crowned as Miss Photogenic.
- She spread awareness about menstrual hygiene as a part of her' Beauty with a Purpose' project called Project Shakti. She visited 20 villages and interacted with 5,000 women.
- According to Times of India, her motto in life is "When you cease to dream you cease to live".
Check out the video here: