The international variant of Galaxy S3 (GT-I9300) can now be updated to Android 7.1.1 Nougat, thanks to the popular crDroid custom ROM. The ROM is based on the latest Android Open Source Project (AOSP) release that brings all the basic customisation and tweaks necessary for a fast and smooth Android experience.
As this is not an official firmware from Samsung, you will require a custom recovery like ClockworkMod or TWRP in order to flash the ROM and Google Apps zip files on your Galaxy S3. Check out the full list of Nougat features ported into the crDroid ROM (below):
- CyanogenMod 14.1 – all mods and features
- StatusBar: Network Traffic
- StatusBar: SU icon toggle
- StatusBar: Ticker
- StatusBar: Hide/Show icons
- StatusBar: BatteryBar customization
- StatusBar: Battery styles
- StatusBar: Tap to Sleep
- StatusBar: Clock styles
- StatusBar: crDroid logo customization
- QuickSettings: Tiles customization
- QuickSettings: Brightness slider toggle
- QuickSettings: Optional brightness icon
- QuickSettings: Vibrate on Touch
- QuickSettings: WiFi easy toggle
- QuickSettings: Bluetooth easy toggle
- QuickSettings: Data easy toggle
- Navigation: Toggle navbar
- Navigation: PIE navigation
- Navigation: DUI – SmartBar / Fling Toggle
- Navigation: Pulse – smart visualization
- Notifications: Power notification controls
- Notifications: Force expanded notifications
- Notifications: Toggle immersive mode messages
- LockScreen: Screen shortcuts
- LockScreen: Toggle longpress for screen shortcuts
- LockScreen: Swipe shortcuts
- LockScreen: Toggle media cover art
- LockScreen: Toggle clock
- LockScreen: Toggle date
- LockScreen: Toggle alarm
- LockScreen: Tap to sleep
- LockScreen: Toggle longpress torch
- LockScreen: Cutomize number of notifications
- LockScreen: Toggle power menu for secure lockscreen
- Recents: Immersive Recents
- Recents: Hidden apps
- Recents: Toggle OmniSwitch as default Recents
- Sound: Toggle screenshot sound
- Sound: Live customization for number of volume steps
- Sound: Less frequent notification sounds
- Sound: DND customizations
- Miscellaneous: Clock Widget
- Miscellaneous: Toggle suggestions on Settings dashboard
- Miscellaneous: Toggle summaries in Settings
- Miscellaneous: Toggle auto-start music player on headset detection
- Settings/Display: Expanded Desktop customization
- Settings/Sound: Increasing Ringtone
- 12 New Quick Settings Tiles including Caffeine mode, Expanded Desktop and Sync
- Settings/Security: Quick PIN/Password Unlock
- Default sounds from latest Nexus image
- Stability and performance improvements
Interested users may go ahead and install the latest Android 7.1 AICP ROM, using our step-by-step guide posted below.
IBTimes SG reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to device during or after installing the AICP ROM. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- Ensure that you have access to the computer and the original USB cable.
- Enable USB Debugging mode on your phone via Developer Options as follows: Go to menu > settings > about phone and then tap seven times repeatedly on the firmware build number. The USB debugging mode will now be accessible via menu > settings > Developer Options.
- Verify that your smartphone has at least 80% battery charge before you proceed with the installation procedure. Otherwise, you may lose data if your device shuts down abruptly due to low battery charge.
Steps to install Android 7.1.1 Nougat on Samsung Galaxy S3
- Download the Android 7.1.1 crDroid ROM and Google Apps package to your computer, using the download links provided. It is advisable to save the downloaded files to the desktop for ease of access.
- Turn on your Galaxy S3 and connect it to the computer via USB cable.
- Choose the downloaded files on the desktop and then copy them from the computer to your Galaxy S3.
- Disconnect the USB cable from the computer. Turn off the phone by pressing and holding the Power key for a few seconds.
- Now boot the Galaxy S3 into recovery mode by pressing and holding the Power, Volume Up and Home buttons together for about five to ten seconds.
- Once you enter recovery mode, perform wipe data factory reset, wipe cache partition and then wipe dalvik cache.
- Wait until the wipe process completes and then you can start the firmware installation process. Select Install zip from SD card, followed by Choose zip from SD card.
- You can now browse and select the Android 7.1.1 crDroid ROM to install the same.
- Repeat the previous step to install Google Apps package on your Galaxy S3.
- Once Gapps is also installed, return to the main recovery menu and tap on Reboot system now.
That's it. Android 7.1.1 Nougat crDroid ROM is now successfully installed on your Samsung Galaxy S3.