LG Nexus 5 users can now enjoy stock-like Android 7.1.1 Nougat experience on their handset, thanks to the release of Android Open Source Project (AOSP) ROM. As this is not an official release by LG or Google, you should root your phone with custom recovery software like ClockworkMod or TWRP, before flashing the ROM and Google Apps zip files.
Interested users can install the latest AOSP Nougat ROM on their LG Nexus 5 by following the step-by-step guide provided below.
IBTimes SG reminds readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to device during or after the AOSP custom ROM installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- The instructions given in this guide are meant for the LG Nexus 5only. Verify device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone
- Ensure the phone has at least 80% battery chargeto prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the ROM
- Back up data and settingsusing a recommended custom recovery tool, like ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup. In Recovery, choose Backup and Restore and tap Backup
- Verify correct USB driversfor the phone are installed on the computer (download LG Nexus 5 USB drivers)
- Enable USB Debugging mode via Settings > Developer Options (if running Android 4.0 or above) or Settings > Applications > Development (if running Android 2.3 or earlier)
- Ensure that the device is rooted with custom recovery (TWRP or CWM) and its bootloader is unlocked
Steps to install Android 7.1.1 Nougat based AOSP ROM on Nexus 5
Step 1 - Download Android 7.1.1 AOSP custom ROM and Google Apps for Nexus 5 on the computer.
Step 2 - Connect and mount the phone's USB mass storage on computer with the USB cable.
Step 3 - Copy the downloaded AOSP ROM zip file to the root folder on the phone's SD card.
Step 4 - Power off the phone and disconnect its USB cable from computer.
Step 5 - Boot the device into Bootloader Mode by pressing and holding Volume up, Volume Down and Power buttons together.
Step 6 – Follow the onscreen instructions and then select Bootloader option to enter recovery mode. Perform a full data wipe task by clicking Wipe Data/Factory Reset. Use the Volumekeys to navigate between options and the Powerbutton to select an option in the Recovery Mode.
Step 7 - Then, perform Wipe Cache Partition and wait until the process completes.
Step 8 - Perform Wipe Dalvik Cache as well. To do this, go to the 'advanced'option and then click Wipe Dalvik Cache. This will help in preventing boot loop issues or any boot ROM related errors during firmware installation.
Step 9 - Return to the main recovery menu and choose Install Zip from SD card.
Step 10 - Click Choose Zip from SD card. Use volume keys to navigate to the AOSP ROM zip file that you copied earlier to your phone's SD card and choose it by tapping the Power button. Confirm the ROM installation on the next screen and the installation process will begin.
Note: Repeat Step 9 and Step 10 to install Google Apps (Gapps) as well.
Step 11 - Once both the Gapps and ROM are installed, choose "+++++Go Back+++++" and select Reboot System Now in the Recovery menu.
The phone will now reboot and the first boot may take about five minutes to complete. So, please be patient.
Your LG Nexus 5 is now running the latest Android 7.1.1 Nougat update via AOSP custom ROM. Go to Settings > About phone to verify the firmware version installed.