Your Galaxy S8 could become unresponsive or start lagging unexpectedly due to corrupt software or a malware infection. If you encounter any such issues, performing a hard or soft reset would be your best bet as it can restore your device back to factory settings or the original state of your device at the time of its first use.
There are actually two easy ways of performing a factory reset on your Galaxy S8 or S8 Plus when the phone becomes unresponsive – soft reset and hard reset. Note: It is highly recommended that you backup all your important contacts, data and user files to avoid data loss during a factory reset.
Let's check out the soft reset method first:
- Navigate to the device's Home screen.
- Swipe the screen from the status bar to the top.
- Tap on the gear icon or the Settings icon.
- Scroll down the list of options and choose General Management.
- Tap the Reset button and then hit Factory Data Reset.
- Scroll down the screen and hit the Reset button again.
- Finally, tap the Delete All button and the phone should automatically reboot to a brand new state or original factory settings.
If the above procedure did not work for you, then you could try the hard reset method which should definitely help restore the original settings on your device. Here's how you do it:
- Turn off your Galaxy S8 completely.
- Press and hold the Volume Up, Power and Bixby buttons together until the blue screen or Samsung logo comes up. Then release all three buttons and you should enter the Android recovery screen.
- Scroll down to wipe data/factory reset by pressing the Volume down button.
- Then hit the Power button to select the option.
- Finally, choose "Yes" to delete all user data, as you navigate using the Volume Down button and then press the Power button to select it.
- This will trigger the factory reset process and the device will wipe all contents.
- Wait until the waiting process completes and then you will be redirected to the main Recovery screen. Now select the option 'Reboot System Now' to restart the device to the initial setup screen.