Indians are gearing up to celebrate its 68th Republic Day on 26 January, which marks the adoption of India's constitution in 1950, three years after independence from Britain.
Large military parades – with huge number of representatives from the Indian Army, Navy and Air Force and traditional dance troupes, will be held at the Rajpath in the capital New Delhi which starts at 9 a.m. India time (10.30 p.m. ET). The date is one of three major national holidays - the other two being Independence Day and Gandhi Jayanti.
This year, India will host Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed Al Nahyan, Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi, as the chief guest for the event.
Scroll down to take a look at quotes from some of the greatest men about India:
- "We owe a lot to the Indians, who taught us how to count, without which no worthwhile scientific discovery could have been made!" - Albert Eistein
- "India is the cradle of the human race, the birthplace of human speech, the mother of history, the grandmother of legend and the great grandmother of tradition. Our most valuable and most astrictive materials in the history of man are treasured up in India only!" - Mark Twain
- "In the great books of India, an empire spoke to us, nothing small or unworthy, but large, serene, consistent, the voice of an old intelligence, which in another age and climate had pondered and thus disposed of the questions that exercise us." Renowned American essayist Ralph Waldo Emerson
- "India conquered and dominated China culturally for 20 centuries without ever having to send a single soldier across her border!" Hu Shih, Former Ambassador of China to the US
- "If I were asked under what sky the human mind has most fully developed some of its choicest gifts, has most deeply pondered on the greatest problems of life, and has found solutions, I should point to India."- German scholar Max Mueller
Top messages to mark the patriotic occasion:
- Freedom In The Mind, Strength In The Words, Pureness In Our Blood, Pride In Our Souls, Zeal In Our Hearts, Let's Salute Our India On Republic Day.
- On this special day, Let's promise our motherland that we will do everything to enrich and preserve our heritage, our ethos and our treasure. Happy Republic Day.
- Never Forget The Heroes who sacrificed their lives to bring up this glorious day to India, Happy Republic Day.
- On this day consider ur past and attempt to fabricate better future for every one of us. It is an obligation of every one of us! Happy Republic Day.