Galaxy S3 (GT-I9300 and GT-I9305) users have long been sidelined from receiving any major Android upgrades after Android 4.4.4 Kitkat release, owing to its outdated 1GB RAM memory configuration. Nevertheless, those who are itching to explore Android Nougat experience on their fast-ageing handset can try installing Android 7.1.1 based LineageOS 14.1 ROM which comes with its own performance tweaks for optimum compatibility with the legacy device.
As this ROM is an official nightly release, it is suitable for daily use. These nightly builds are more stable than experimental builds which could harbour untested bugs or broken features.
Interested users may go ahead and install the latest Android 7.1.1 LineageOS ROM, using our step-by-step guide posted below.
IBTimes SG reminds its readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to device during or after installing the LineageOS ROM. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
LineageOS 14.1 ROM download links for all Galaxy S3 models:
Download link (Model No. GT-I9305)
Download link (Model No. GT-I9300)
Note: LineageOS can be installed without the need for Google Apps (optional) and it requires any custom recovery tool like TWRP for installation. You need to flash the SuperSU package separately in order to get full root access on the device, after flashing this ROM.
- Ensure that you have access to the computer and the original USB cable.
- Enable USB Debugging mode on your phone via Developer Options as follows: Go to menu > settings > about phone and then tap seven times repeatedly on the firmware build number. The USB debugging mode will now be accessible via menu > settings > Developer Options.
- Verify that your smartphone has at least 80% battery charge before you proceed with the installation procedure. Otherwise, you may lose data if your device shuts down abruptly due to low battery charge.
Steps to install LineageOS on Galaxy S3 (GT-I9300 and GT-I9305
- Download the latest version of LineageOS ROM and Google Apps (Gapps) zip files using the links provided on your Galaxy S3.
- Turn on your Galaxy S3 and connect it to the computer via USB cable.
- Choose the downloaded files on the desktop and then copy them from the computer to your Galaxy S3.
- Disconnect the USB cable from the computer. Turn off the phone by pressing and holding the Power key for a few seconds.
- Now boot the Galaxy S3 into recovery mode by pressing and holding the Power, Volume Up and Home buttons together for about five to ten seconds.
- Once you enter recovery mode, perform wipe data factory reset, wipe cache partition and then wipe dalvik cache.
- Wait until the wipe process completes and then you can start the firmware installation process. Select Install zip from SD card, followed by Choose zip from SD card.
- You can now browse and select the Android 7.1.1 LineageOS ROM to install the same.
- Repeat the previous step to install Google Apps package on your Galaxy S3.
- Once Gapps is also installed, return to the main recovery menu and tap on Reboot system now.
That's it. Android 7.1.1 Nougat LineageOS ROM is now successfully installed on your Samsung Galaxy S3.