The World Diabetes Day is a global campaign led by the International Diabetes Federation (IDF) to promote awareness on diabetes mellitus. Experts argue the best way to deal with the disease is to maintain a proper weight and healthy lifestyle.
The campaign was launched in 1991 by the IDF and is observed every year on 14 November.
This year, the Worlds Diabetes Day coincided with the birthday of Frederick Banting, who was among the three scientists responsible for the discovery of insulin. Also, this year's theme was decided as "Eyes on Diabetes and it will focus on spreading awareness about type 2 diabetes.
Experts urge people to keep an eye for the following symptoms to determine if they are at the risk of developing diabetes â increased thirst, frequent urination, recurring skin infection, blurred vision, tiredness, pain and numbness in hands and feet.
We at IBT Singapore will bring some important dos and don'ts to prevent the occurrence of the disease.
Dos if there is a risk of diabetes:
- Experts say that patients with the risk of the disease should eat at regular intervals and not skip meals.
- Another very important step is to reduce weight but not by crash dieting rather by regulating food consumption.
- It is advised to eat complex carbohydrates such as oats, bajra, jowar, ragi and wheat, other than consuming simple carbohydrates such as rice, white bread, white pasta, maida. This, dieticians say, will help to maintain the sugar level.
- A low-carb meal consisting of roti, vegetable, salad, egg whites or skim paneer is encouraged other than full course meals.
- Also, it is advised to regularly check on the glucometer to determine and monitor the consumed foods' effect on the sugar levels.
Don'ts if there is risk of the disease:
- Avoid eating junk and fatty foods like chips, chocolates, burgers etc
- Don't consume regular soda or sweetened drinks like the carbonated drinks available in the market.
- Avoid eating more than one portion of protein and fiber in each meal. This regulation will help accelerate metabolism and promote fat loss.
- Make it a point not to skip daily exercise.
- Don't skip regular visits to you doctor to undergo regular checkups