Nanyang Technological University (NTU) on Tuesday, October 17 was named Asia's Top University by Quacquarelli Symonds (QS) Asia University Rankings.
The National University of Singapore (NUS) dropped to second place and was followed by Hong Kong University of Science and Technology and then the Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology.
The ranking reasserted Singapore's education system to be one of the best and highly regarded in the world. NTU rose two spots from last year, knocking down NUS and now is placed in the top position of the QS Asia University league table ahead of 400 universities in Asia.
NTU is very young and was established in 1991. But this has not stopped it from consistently being ranked first in the QS Top 50 Under 50. They took the top spot after improving its scores for papers per faculty and student-faculty ratio.
"NTU has made fantastic progress, having risen from No 14 when the QS Asian rankings began in 2009," said NTU president, Professor Bertil Andersson.
National University Singapore (NUS) may have dropped to second place but has still received the highest score in the entire ranking for employer reputation.It is also only one place behind NTU for citations per faculty member. NUS was founded in 1905 as a medical institution and it is the oldest institute of higher learning (IHL) in Singapore.
Here's the list of top ten Universities in Asia:
1. Nanyang Technological University (NTU) [ location: Singapore]
2. National University of Singapore (NUS) [ location: Singapore]
3. The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) [ location: Hong Kong]
4. KAIST - Korea Advanced Institute of Science and Technology [ location: South Korea]
5. University of Hong Kong (HKU) [ location: Hong Kong]
6. Tsinghua University [ location: China]
7. Fudan University [ location: China]
8. City University of Hong Kong [ location: Hong Kong]
9. Peking University [ location: China]
10. The Chinese University of Hong Kong (CUHK) [ location: Hong Kong]