Even though Singapore's Home Affairs Ministry (MHA) has withdrawn their proposal for a single immigration and customs checkpoint at the Johor Causeway, on Sunday, February 11 the Deputy Home Minister of Malaysia Datuk Nur Jazlan Mohamed said that they were almost convinced by that idea.
Jazlan said that the proposal was good but in any cost, from the security perspective the country should not compromise.
During his visit to Tampoi, where he went to witness the completion of a kampung house under the poor people housing scheme on Sunday morning, Jazla said that if unfortunately, Malaysia allows a single terrorist inside the region, it will damage the society.
According to Malaysian Digest, Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Abdul Razak had suggested on Friday, Feb 9 that when people will travel from Malaysia to Singapore, they will be checked by the authority of the neighbouring country and when travellers come from republic to Johor, then the Malaysian authority will check their papers and other details.
Earlier MHA has mentioned that it is not possible to do away with immigration and customs checks for departing travellers, particularly from Singapore's side.
In addition to that MHA also mentioned that Singapore government will continue to work with Malaysian authority to explore other ways, which could be helpful to facilitate travel between Singapore and Malaysia.
Earlier this month, Malaysian immigration department has advised foreign motorists from Singapore to follow rules and laws of the customs, after a fight took place between a Singaporean couple and officer at a police checkpoint.
Datuk Rohaizi Bahari, director of Johor Immigration Department said that if a foreign motorist is entering or exiting via the country's gazetted land checkpoints, they have to follow the instructions, including Malaysian law.