Singapore Airlines has been named one of the 50 most admired companies in the world in a list compiled by wealth magazine Fortune. The carrier, which is the only Singapore company to get enlisted among the top 50, has been ranked 33rd. According to reports, the survey was organized by Fortune and Korn Ferry Hay Group and the ranking has been done based on votes from 3,800 executives, directors, analysts, and experts.
Apple, the American multinational technology company, created a new record by topping the "world's most admired companies" list for the 10th year in a row. Amazon.com and Starbucks acquired the second and third places respectively followed by Berkshire Hathaway and Disney.
The companies which have been ranked for the top 50 most admired companies list, also known as 50 All-Stars, were all selected in the top 25 per cent of the surveys done in 2016. However, those who have been shortlisted were all listed in the top 20 per cent of their industry this year.
The top companies were selected based on nine criteria including investment value, quality of management, products, social responsibility and ability to attract talent. Voters from the 680 highest-revenue companies in 51 industries, 28 countries have voted for the shortlisted companies.
The original list of 1,500 candidates, who were eligible for the survey, included 1,000 largest US companies in terms of revenue and 500 international companies with revenue over $10 billion in Fortune's Global 500 database.
Here's the complete list of the top 10 companies (The list starts at number 9 as it was a tie).
9. Microsoft Industry: Computer software
9. Facebook Industry: Internet services and retailing
8. Southwest Airlines Industry: Airlines
7. General Electric Industry: Industrial machinery
6. Alphabet Industry: Internet services and retailing
5. Disney Industry: Entertainment
4. Berkshire Hathaway Industry: Insurance - property and casualty
3. Starbucks Industry: Food services
2. Amazon.com Industry: Internet services and retailing
1. Apple Industry: Computers