Shocking video of Samsung smartphone exploding in an Indonesian man's pocket goes viral

The video featuring Samsung Grand Duos's explosion in an Indonesian man's pocket is now being shared widely on social media platforms.

samsung and sk telecom 4g, 5g test
Signage is seen at the Samsung 837 store in the Meatpacking District of Manhattan, New York, U.S., 10 October 2016 (Andrew Kelly/File Photo/Reuters)

An Indonesian man faced the worst fear of his life when a Samsung phone exploded in his shirt's pocket. Soon after the explosion, the victim removed his shirt which helped him protect himself from serious injuries. A 41second video featuring the incident has now gone viral on social media platforms.

The incident happened on September 30, but the video was published on October 2.

The unusual case of Samsung Grand Duos

Several incidents have been reported from various corners of the world regarding explosions of Samsung smartphones for the past couple of years. In October 2016, Samsung relaunched its Galaxy Note 7 smartphones following regular explosions due to the overheated battery. The recalled phones were replaced later, but they were also soon called off due to continuous reports of fire and explosion.

But this time, it was the Grand Duos model which exploded, a brand which was not involved in any reports of fire or explosion.

The shocking incident happened inside Hotel Ciputra, where the victim, Yulianto worked as a supervisor. During the time of the explosion, the 47-year-old man was standing in the lobby. In the video, we can see Yulianto touching the phone for a second before sparks engulfed his pocket. The man who was terribly shocked started rolling on the floor, and he soon pulled off his shirt which prevented further injuries. After the incident, Yulianto revealed that he has never faced problems before with his Grand Duos which he bought four years back.

Experts believe that overheating is the result of the explosion, as Yulianto used GPS, Bluetooth, and Wi-Fi simultaneously.

Jo Semidang, Corporate Marketing Director of Samsung Electronics Indonesia, told that the company considers this very seriously, and is now investigating this case. Semidang also added that Samsung always gives first preference to customer's safety.

Earlier, many people claimed that it is due to issues with the portable charger which resulted in the explosion of Samsung phones. But Yulianto was not using a charger during the time of the explosion. Police officials believe that the only cause of the explosion is overheating.

Related topics : Samsung