Lorry hits pregnant woman, father thanks medical staff for saving his premature child

Newborn Baby
Newborn Baby - Representational Picture Reuters

Goh Chieh Ting, a six-month pregnant woman went out with her mother-in-law at Jurong West to have breakfast. A lorry hit her when they were about to cross the road. She was taken to Ng Teng Fong General Hospital where doctors managed to save her premature baby but failed to save Ting.

When the medical staff at Ng Teng Fong received the emergency message from Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) on the accident day at around 8 am on May 2017, they decided to go for a perimortem cesarean section, which provided chances to save both lives. Around 9.30 am the mother was announced dead.

The medical team performed a manual ventilation process for the baby but she was immediately transferred to a nearby National University Hospital (NUH).

The unhealthy baby Yunice, spent two months in neonatal intensive care and another three months in intensive care. This incident happened last year and now the five-month-old has grown up to be a cheerful healthy child.

During the opening ceremony of The Society for Emergency Medicine in Singapore's Annual Scientific Meeting 2018, a video based on the miracle baby's story was broadcasted over the weekend.

In the video, it was shown how the doctors and other medical staff from Ng Teng Fong General Hospital, the SCDF and a team of NUH's neonatology department put all their efforts to save premature Yunice's life.

According to The Independent, a senior consultant at NUH called Yvonne Ng said that Yunice is a cheerful little girl and "I am happy to report that she is growing very well and developmentally normal."

In the video Yunice's father, Dave Yuen mentioned how he is taking care of his little girl since the accident. He expressed his gratitude towards all the medical staff who helped save Yunice's life.

"With Yunice physically around in the house, every movement that she does... with her looking at you, just makes you feel happy. On behalf of my family, I would like to thank the medical team for giving me a miracle, giving me hope," Yuen said.