Google Pixel and Google Pixel XL can now get the official Android 7.1.2 Nougat firmware with build number NJH47F. The latest Nougat software update offers a bunch of tweaks, enhancements and security fixes for your phone. In this tutorial, we will teach you how to root your device so you can get the update.
- Back up your necessary data. You can use this tool.
- Download and instal USB drivers on your computer.
- Unlock Pixel bootloader here.
- Instal Android SDK on your PC with ABD and Fastboot command working.
- Enable USB debugging. Go to Menu > Settings > Applications > Developer Options.
- Root NJH47F Android 7.1.2 official firmware on your phone.
- Android SDK is needed. You can download it here. Make sure to set it up with platform-tools and USB drivers package in SDK.
- Download SuperSU v2.82 in your PC.
- Download TWRP recovery tool and make sure to store the ZIP file in the root directory of the phone. For Google Pixel, link here. For Google Pixel XL, link here.
- Download Fastboot according to your compatible computers. Extract them in android-sdk-windowsplatform-tool directory. Create a directory folder if there is none. For Windows, link here. For Mac, link here. For Linux, link here.
How to root Google Pixel, Pixel XL Android 7.1.2 Nougat
Step 1: Connect the phone to your computer using a USB cord.
Step 2: Copy the SuperSU zip files from PC to phone.
Step 4: Shut down your phone.
Step 5: Enter recovery mode through the android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory and launch the Command Prompt. Alternatively, you can use the shortcut Shift + Right-click > Open Command Prompt. Type the following command: adb reboot bootloader.
Another way to enter recovery mode is by turning off your phone, then hold down the Volume Down key while turning the phone into recovery mode.
Step 6: Head over to android-sdk-windowsplatform-tools directory. Launch the Command Prompt and type the following command: fastboot boot twrp-3.0.2-0-RC1-fastboot-sailfish.img (for Pixel), or fastboot boot twrp-3.0.2-0-RC1-fastboot-marlin.img (for Pixel XL). Remember, if you are using the newer version on Pixel, replace twrp-3.0.2-0.
Step 7: Your phone should now enter the TWRP recovery mode.
Step 8: Choose instal, then tap the TWRP installer zip file. Confirm the action by swiping up.
Step 9: Reboot your phone into recovery mode.
Step 10: Tap Instal, the SuperSU zip file you had downloaded. Confirm flash by swiping up.
Step 11: Once flashed, Reboot System option will pop out, tap it.
Your phone should now be updated with the official Android 7.1.2 Nougat with build number NJH47F. Verify it through a root checking app.