Nexus 9 users are in for some good news as Google has just rolled out the factory image for the third iteration of Android N Developer Preview for the tablet. The latest beta update for Android N is now live for both the WiFi and 3G (LTE) variants of the 9in tablet.
Interested users can go ahead and install the factory image using the step-by-step guide posted below to enjoy the latest features of Android N on their Nexus tablet.
Note: Installing the factory image will wipe out all user data on the device and hence it is imperative to backup all your important files before you begin the installation process.
Key Points to Remember
- The download links and instructions provided in this guide are limited to Google Nexus 9 (WiFi or 3G LTE) only. Attempting this procedure on any other device could inadvertently brick or permanently damage the device.
- Ensure USB debugging is enabled on the device via Developer Options section. If the option is hidden or disabled, go to Settings > About Phone and tap 7 times on the Build Number. Now the USB debugging option should be accessible under Settings.
- Make sure that you have backed up all your important data as this process will wipe out all user data on the phone during the factory reset process.
- Verify that the phone has at least 80% battery charge, just to prevent unexpected device shutdown during the installation process.
How to install and configure Android SDK
- Download Android SDK package and install it on your computer
- Now open the SDK installation directory, locate SDK manager.exe and launch it
- Download the necessary SDK packages and USB drivers via SDK Manager
- Browse and locate the freshly created platform-tools folder. It should be inside the SDK installation directory.
How to install Android N Preview 3 factory image on Nexus 9 WiFi or 3G LTE
- Download the Android N factory image from the download links provided.
- Once the download is complete, you can extract the archived files on your PC to the platform-tools folder.
- Power off the Nexus tablet.
- Boot the device into Fastboot or Bootloader mode. Without selecting any fastboot options just leave the Fastboot main menu opened on your tablet's screen.
- Connect your tablet to the computer via USB cable.
- Go to platform-tools folder and start the Factory Image installation by double-clicking on the flash-all.bat script. Then confirm the flashing process. Leave the screen alone until all the files are installed.
- Once the installation is done, you will get a confirmation alert in the command prompt window.
- Disconnect the device from computer when the installation finishes.