With just three weeks left for the 34th Golden Disc awards to kick-start, the organisers have some new details about the event. The first set of celebrities who have confirmed to perform at the ceremony, includes popular K-Pop bands BTS, TWICE, SEVENTEEN and MAMAMOO.
The annual event will be back with a two-day ceremony in less than a month's time. The first day of the award ceremony will focus on digital album sales and the second day will deal with physical albums. That means there is not much time left for the music lovers to know which artistes and behind-the-scene talents will be receiving awards for their outstanding performances this year.
It is also worth noting that K-Pop fans will not get a chance to vote for their favourite artistes once again this year. According to the organisers, it is to ensure "fairness" and "objectivity" to the "most prestigious" award ceremony of the Korean music industry.
Here is what you need to know about Golden Disc Awards 2020:
- Date and venue: The 34th annual award ceremony will be held at the Gocheok Sky Dome in Seoul for two days – 4th and 5th of January 2020. As mentioned above, the first day will focus on digital album sales and the second day will deal with physical albums.
Host: Sung Si Kyung and Lee Seung Gi are returning as the hosts of Golden Disc Awards again this year. They will be joined by Lee Da Hee and Park So Dam. Si Kyung is hosting the show for the fourth year and Seung Gi is taking up the role for the third year. Da Hee and Si Kyung are hosting the ceremony on January 4, 2020 and So Dam and Seung Gi will host the star-studded event on January 5, 2020.
- Judgement: The winners for this year will be declared by evaluating the album sales and judging panel's decision.The judging panel for this year will include a total of 50 professional from the Korean entertainment industry, including music directors, critics and reporters. During the evaluation process, 40 percent of their analysis will be taken into consideration.
- Celebrity Lineup: The K-Pop bands and singers who have confirmed their presence at the 34th annual award ceremony are MAMAMOO, BTS, TWICE, SEVENTEEN, JANNABI and Paul Kim.Only the members of TWICE will be performing on both the days of the event. While Paul Kim, MAMAMOO and JANNABI have confirmed their presence on the first day of the award ceremony, the members of BTS and SEVENTEEN will be performing on the second day of the event.
- Live Streaming Details: The 34th Golden Disk Awards will be broadcast live through JTBC, JTBC2 and JTBC 4. K-Pop fans from various parts of the world, including the US, India, China, Singapore and the UK may also get a chance to watch the annual award ceremony live through VLive. For the past two years, the broadcasting network has been streaming the event live.
- Nominations: All the albums and songs that were released between October 2018 and October 2019 will be eligible for competing with each other. The complete list of nominees for this year have been revealed.
Check out the nomination list below:
- Digital Song Division Bonsang: AKMU for How can I love the heartbreak, you're the one I love, Ben for 180 Degree, BLACKPINK for KILL THIS LOVE, BOL4 for Bom, BTOB for Beautiful Pain, BTS for Boy With Luv, Chen for Beautiful goodbye, Chungha for Gotta Go, Davichi for Unspoken Words, EXO for Love Shot, HAEUN for Shin Yong Jae, Hwang In Wook for Phocha, Hwasa from MAMAMOO for twit, ITZY for DALLA DALLA, Jang Bum Joon for Karaoke, Jang Hye Jin & Yoon Min Soo for Drunk On Love, JANNABI for For Lovers Who Hesitate, Jennie from BLACKPINK for SOLO, Kassy for The day was beautiful, Lee Sora for Song Request (Feat. Suga), MAMAMOO for gogobebe, M.C the MAX for After You've Gone, N.Flying for Rooftop, Paul Kim for Me After You, Song Ha Ye for Your Regards, Taeyeon from Girls' Generation for Four Seasons, TWICE for YES or YES, WINNER for MILLIONS, Woody for Fire up and Yoon Gun for Just Let Me Go.
- Album Division Bonsang: AB6IX for B: COMPLETE, ASTRO for All Light, ATEEZ for TREASURE EP. FIN: All To Action, Baekhyun from EXO for City Lights, BTS for Map of the Soul: Persona, Chen from EXO for April, and a flower, EXO-SC for What a life, GFRIEND for Time for us, GOT7 for SPINNING TOP: BETWEEN SECURITY & INSECURITY, Hwang Chi Yeol for The Four Seasons, IZ*ONE for HEART*IZ, Jus2 from GOT7 for FOCUS, Kim Jae Hwan for Another, MONSTA X for WE ARE HERE, NCT Dream for We Boom, NU'EST for Happily Ever After, NU'EST W for WAKE,N, Park Ji Hoon for O'CLOCK, Red Velvet for The ReVe Festival – Day 1, SEVENTEEN for An Ode, Stray Kids for Clé 1 : MIROH, Super Junior for Time_Slip, Taemin from SHINee for WANT, Taeyeon from Girls' Generation for Purpose, The Boyz for THE ONLY, TVXQ for New Chapter #2 : The Truth of Love, TWICE for Feel Special, TXT for The Dream Chapter: MAGIC, WINNER for CROSS and Yunho for True Colors.
- Popularity Award: AB6IX, ASTRO, ATEEZ, BLACKPINK, BTOB, BTS, Chungha, EXO, GFRIEND, GOT7, ITZY, Kang Daniel, Kim Jae Hwan, MAMAMOO, MONSTA X, NCT Dream, N.Flying, NU'EST, Park Ji Hoon, Red Velvet, SEVENTEEN, , Stray Kids, Super Junior, Taemin from SHINee, Taeyeon from Girls' Generation, The Boyz, TVXQ, TWICE, TXT and WINNER.
- Rookie of the Year: AB6IX, ATEEZ, CIX, HAEUN, HYNN, ITZY, Kang Daniel, Kim Jae Hwan, Park Ji Hoon, TXT and X1.