Fans trend #StayStrongTop as family, police tangle over singer's medical status

T.O.P's family and the police are clashing over his medical status.

BIGBANG's T.O.P hospitalised for suspected drug overdose Big Bang's Facebook page

Fans of BIGBANG have expressed their support to T.O.P who was rushed to the hospital on June 6 due to suspected tranquilizer overdose.

But T.O.P's family and the police are clashing over his medical status on whether he is unconscious or just sleeping because of the medications he took.

T.O.P was taken to the Ewha Womans University Medical Center in Seoul, a day after prosecutors indicted him for smoking marijuana four times at his home in Seoul last October. The police said he used marijuana together with a singer trainee. At 5PM on June 6, he was moved to the intensive care unit (ICU).

Fans have expressed grief over T.O.P's hospitalization and showed their support by trending the hashtag #StayStrongTop last night on Twitter, which became No. 1 on worldwide trends.

The police said T.O.P was not unconscious and was not in critical condition.

"A medical examination showed Choi had no serious problems and he reacts when people call his name or pinch him. When he was transferred to the hospital, he wasn't taken in a stretcher, but was helped by others," a police official was quoted by Yonhap News as saying.

The report was T.O.P has been taking tranquilizers for medical purposes and took them at 10PM on June 5 but was unable to wake up by noon the following day.

According to the police, "Choi isn't in critical condition, and he is just sleeping right now since the medication he took contains sleeping pill ingredients. Once the effects of the medication weaken after one or two days, he will be fine."

But T.O.P's mother lashed out at the police's stance, saying, "The condition of my son is quite bad."

"It's been misreported after (the police) announced that my boy, who is almost dying, was not fully awake from tranquilizers," she told the media at the hospital, added the Yonhap News report.

She also told a police official who was nearby that "he was clearly unconscious when moved to the hospital. The doctor confirmed it."

"The mother was very angry at the police report. T.O.P is currently unconscious and relying on a respirator. She's flabbergasted by the police report that said he was 'in a state of sleep' when hospitalized," YG Entertainment said.

T.O.P was fulfilling his military service at the Gangnam Police Station until he was removed from the unit following his indictment. He was transferred to another unit.

His military service is suspended until a court issues a decision on his drug case.