Another karaoke bar fire kills 13 in Vietnam capital Hanoi

Lax fire safety measures routinely cause fire accidents in Vietnam.

Indonesia: Raging fire destroys several houses in Jakarta, 116 people homeless
Picture for representation Reuters

At least 13 people have been killed and two police officers injured in a fire that broke out at a karaoke bar in the Vietnamese capital of Hanoi, said an official on Wednesday.

It was reported that local officials said the fire started on Tuesday afternoon in the busy Cau Giay district and quickly spread to the surrounding houses.

Photos of the incident revealed the destruction caused by the fire. While the firefighters were struggling to douse the flame, plumes of smoke rising from the large fire were seen. Moreover, cars and motorbikes outside the bar were also burnt to ashes.

According to Agence France-Presse, local official Chung said, "Hundreds of firemen and police officers were mobilised to extinguish the fire."

Two police officers were also injured trying to beat out the blaze and are now being treated in a hospital in the city, said Chung, as reported.

A probe has been ordered by Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc and police have already sprung into action and are tracking down the culprit. A government's official website post said, "investigate and conclude reasons for the fire, seriously punishing wrongdoing".

The prime minister, according to the news portal, asked local authorities to closely inspect karaoke bars' and restaurants' safety protocols. The leader also urged authorities to investigate what kind of fire safety measures these places follow and if they have suitable equipment to tackle an emergency case.

Vietnam has been facing a string of fire accidents lately and blazes at houses, bars and restaurants have become very common. Moreover, it is also estimated that fire prevention and firefighting measures are limited in the country.

In September, Vietnam was shaken by another similar accident when a seven-storey karaoke bar in the capital city went up in flames at night. However, no casualties were reported.