World Photography Day is celebrated every year on Aug 19 to celebrate the works of amateur as well as professional photographers in equal measure. It is an extremely special day for all the shutter bugs across the globe when they get a chance to observe a day for their art.
The concept of celebrating photography originated after the French government presented daguerreotype process "Free to the World", invented by Joseph NicÃ¨phore NiÃ¨pce and Louis Daguerre, as a gift to the world on 19 August, 1839.
Photography is considered to be one of the most fascinating forms of art. It helps a person to relive a moment from his past. Some of the well-known photographers around the world have captured usual things in the most unusual manner. These famous personalities have inspired several aspiring photographers, not only with their lenses, but with their thoughts and words.
On the occasion of World Photography Day, IBTimes Singapore has compiled a list of top 20 quotes that describe the true essence of photography.
- "In photography there is a reality so subtle that it becomes more real than reality."- Alfred Stieglitz
- "The camera makes you forget you're there. It's not like you are hiding but you forget, you are just looking so much."- Annie Leibovitz
- "You don't take a photograph, you make it."- Ansel Adams
- "Photography helps people to see."- Berenice Abbott
- "A photograph is a secret about a secret. The more it tells you the less you know."- Diane Arbus
- "A camera is a tool for learning how to see without a camera."- Dorothea Lange
- "Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst."-Henri Cartier-Bresson
- "Which of my photographs is my favourite? The one I'm going to take tomorrow."- Imogen Cunningham
- "Don't pack up your camera until you've left the location."- Joe McNally
- "The eye should learn to listen before it looks."- Robert Frank
- "Photographs open doors into the past, but they also allow a look into the future."- Sally Mann
- "Photography is the power of observation, and not the application of technology"- Prerna Sharma
- "When you photograph people in colour, you photograph their clothes. But when you photograph people in black and white, you photograph their souls"- Ted Grant
- "The picture that you took with your camera is the imagination you want to create with reality." â Scott Lorenzo
- "Don't shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like."- David Alan Harvey
- "The best thing about a picture is that it never changes, even when the people in it do."- Andy Warhol
- "If your pictures aren't good enough, you aren't close enough."- Robert Capa
- "What I like about photographs is that they capture a moment that's gone forever, impossible to reproduce." - Karl Lagerfeld
- "Every other artist begins with a blank canvas, a piece of paper... the photographer begins with the finished product."- Edward Steichen
- "Beauty can be seen in all things, seeing and composing the beauty is what separates the snapshot from the photograph."â Matt Hardy