World Animal Day is observed on 4th October. The aim of this day is to highlight the plight of the animals around the globe.
"World Animal Day, October 4, is a permanent fixture in the diaries of many thousands of animal lovers around the globe. If it's not in yours, please add it now! Each one of us can make a difference â together we make change happen!" said the message from World Animal Day HQ.
According to the official website, the mission of this global day is "to raise the status of animals in order to improve welfare standards around the globe. Building the celebration of World Animal Day unites the animal welfare movement, mobilizing it into a global force to make the world a better place for all animals. It's celebrated in different ways in every country, irrespective of nationality, religion, faith or political ideology. Through increased awareness and education we can create a world where animals are always recognized as sentient beings and full regard is always paid to their welfare."
Here are some quotable quotes from celebrities and scholars about animals in general:
- "When a man has pity on all living creatures then only is he noble." - Buddha
- "The time will come when men such as I will look upon the murder of animals as they now look upon the murder of men." - Leonardo Da Vinci
- "The love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man." - Charles Darwin
- "The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Mahatma Gandhi
- "I am in favor of animal rights as well as human rights. That is the way of a whole human being." - Abraham Lincoln
- "Non-violence leads to the highest ethics, which is the goal of all evolution. Until we stop harming all other living beings, we are still savages." - Thomas Edison
- "If a man aspires towards a righteous life, his first act of abstinence is from injury to animals." - Albert Einstein
- "Killing animals for sport, for pleasure, for adventure, and for hides and furs is a phenomena which is at once disgusting and distressing. There is no justification in indulging is such acts of brutality." -- Dalai Lama
- "We don't live the lives of Eskimos. We don't need to kill animals for fashion." - Charlize Theron
- "As custodians of the planet it is our responsibility to deal with all species with kindness, love and compassion. That these animals suffer through human cruelty is beyond understanding. Please help to stop this madness." - Richard Gere