The word "Valentine" comes from the Roman word Valentine, a term that was used to define early Christian martyrs. Long before Valentine's Day was started being celebrated as the day of love or lover's day, it was celebrated to honor these Valentines on February 14. On this day, the Valentine of Terni, who was popularly known as Saint Valentine, was commemorated and hence the day came to be widely known as Valentine's Day.
He was associated with courtly love, wherein people courted each other before getting married in a chivalrous manner. Every year on February 14, people exchange cards, gifts or flowers with their special "valentine." On the occasion, IBTimes Singapore has hand-picked top quotes to express yourself to the one you love.
- "Doubt thou the stars are fire, Doubt that the sun doth move. Doubt truth to be a liar, But never doubt I love." - William Shakespeare
- "I want to be one of those old couples you see still holding hands and laughing after fifty years of marriage. That's what I want. I want to be someone's forever." - Rachel Gibson
- "Love is like a beautiful flower which I may not touch, but whose fragrance makes the garden a place of delight just the same." - Helen Keller
- "I love you because the entire universe conspired to help me find you." - Paulo Coelho
- "Love doesn't make the world go round; love is what makes the ride worthwhile." --Elizabeth Browning
- "Love is something eternal; the aspect may change, but not the essence." – Vincent van Gogh
- "Love is not finding someone to live with; it's finding someone you can't live without." – Rafael Ortiz
- "Let us always meet each other with a smile, for a smile is the beginning of love." - Mother Teresa
- "You know you're in love when you can't fall asleep because reality is finally better than your dreams." - Dr Seuss
- "For it was not into my ear you whispered, but into my heart. It was not my lips you kissed, but my soul." - Judy Garland