Motorola Moto G4 and G4 Plus users can finally enjoy the latest Android 7.1.1 Nougat experience on their handsets, thanks to the release of CyanogenMod based LineageOS 14.1 ROM. Although Moto G series has been targeted at the performance segment with timely updates, now the fate of its updates rests solely in Lenovo's hands wherein there have been extended delays in the roll out of Android 7.1.1 Nougat official firmware.
Nevertheless, avid Motorola fans who want to get a first-hand experience of latest Nougat update can go ahead and install the LineageOS 14.1 ROM, as it is the most stable release of Android 7.1.1 custom ROM for the Moto G handsets till date.
Note: You will need any custom recovery tool like the TWRP in order to install LineageOS 14.1 on your Moto G4 or G4 Plus.
Steps to install LineageOS 14.1 on Motorola Moto G4
- Copy the downloaded LineageOS ROM and Gapps package zip files to your Moto G4/G4 Plus.
- Boot your handset into TWRP recovery.
- Choose Wipe from TWRP main menu and perform a Swipe to Factory Reset across the bottom of screen.
- Return to main recovery screen, tap on Install and choose the Lineage OS .zip file that you copied earlier to your Moto G4 in Step 1.
- After choosing the .zip file, just do Swipe to Confirm Flash across the bottom of screen to begin installing the custom ROM. Do not interrupt the process as it may take some time.
- Wait until the ROM is flashed and then go to Wipe cache/Dalvik option, select it and then do Swipe to wipe across the screen.
- Then flash the Nougat Gapps like you flashed the ROM earlier.
- Reboot or restart your phone after flashing both Lineage OS and Gapps.