Hong Kong Woman Arrested for Public Indecency After Video of Her Having Sex with Partner on Balcony Goes Viral

A video posted online of a naked couple having sex in broad daylight on the balcony of a flat in a high-rise building at Hong Kong's former Kai Tak Airport has led to the arrest of a woman, police said on Wednesday. A citywide search is now underway for her male partner.

The 36-year-old woman, who has not been identified, was arrested by officers from the Sau Mau Ping criminal investigation unit outside a Muk Tai Street residential building near Kai Tak MTR station on Tuesday, according to authorities.

Woman Charged with Outraging Public Decency

Hong Kong couple caught having sex
A still from the explicit video that was circulated online. Twitter

According to the police, officers began investigating the case after discovering a video posted online recently. The 16-second clip, which appears to have been filmed from a neighboring building, shows the naked couple having sex on the balcony. The woman was arrested outside the block of flats on Tuesday

She was detained on charges of outraging public decency - an offence that is punishable by up to seven years in jail. However, Barrister Albert Luk Wai-hung said the offence of indecency in public under the Crimes Ordinance was more appropriate for this case than the offence of outraging public decency.

Under the ordinance, a person who, without lawful authority or excuse, in any public place or in view of the public indecently exposes any part of his or her body shall be guilty of this offence punishable by up to six months in jail and a HK$1,000 (US$127) fine.

"The balcony is described as a private area, but having sex and exposing their bodies indecently there is obviously visible by the public. Their act is in breach of the law," Luk said.

Those Who Posted the Clip Online Could Also Face Charges

Those who posted the video online could also face prosecution for publishing obscene articles under the Control of Obscene and Indecent Articles Ordinance – an offence that carries a maximum penalty of three years in jail and a HK$1 million fine, he said.

"An active investigation is still under way. Further arrests are possible," police said on Wednesday. The woman has been released on bail. She is required to report to police next month.