World Environment Day is observed every year on 5 June - a day designated by the UN to raise awareness of environmental issues. The theme of World Environment Day 2016 is 'Go Wild for Life'.
Southern Africa country Angola will serve as the host of the 2016 event. Angolan Environment Minister Maria de Fatima Jardim said: "Angola is delighted to host World Environment Day, which will focus on an issue close to our hearts. The illegal wildlife trade, particularly the trade in ivory and rhino horn, is a major problem across our continent. By hosting this day of celebration and awareness-raising, we aim to send a clear message that such practices will soon be eradicated."
On the occasion, IBTimes Singapore has picked up the top ten quotes to mark World Environment Day 2016.
- "The earth is like a beautiful bride who needs no manmade jewels to heighten her loveliness." - Khalil Gibran
- "The environment is everything that isn't me." – Albert Einstein
- "Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's needs, but not every man's greed." – Mahatma Gandhi
- "God has cared for these trees, saved them from drought, disease, avalanches, and a thousand tempests and floods. But he cannot save them from fools." – John Muir
- "Harmony with land is like harmony with a friend; you cannot cherish his right hand and chop off his left." – Aldo Leopold
- "I can find God in nature, in animals, in birds and the environment." – Pat Buckley
- "We must return to nature and nature's god." – Luther Burbank
- "If we do not permit the earth to produce beauty and joy, it will in the end not produce food, either." – Joseph Wood Krutch
- "Birds are indicators of the environment. If they are in trouble, we know we'll soon be in trouble." – Roger Tory Peterson
- "We won't have a society if we destroy the environment." – Margaret Mead