Buddhists around the world are celebrating Vesak, one of the most important days in the Buddhist calendar. It commemorates the birth, enlightenment and death of the Buddha. According to Buddhist scriptures, each of these significant events occurred on the full moon of the Indian lunar month of Vesakha.
The date differs depending on the country or culture, and in Singapore it falls on 21 May. Adding on, Vesak is celebrated differently in each Buddhist groups. In Sri Lanka, colourful lanterns are lit to signify the life of the Buddha, while in Taiwan, fragrant water is poured over statues of Buddha. In Singapore, caged birds are set free.
On the occasion, IBTimes Singapore has hand picked top quotes to share with close ones.
- A man is not called wise because he talks and talks again; but if he is peaceful, loving and fearless.
- Every morning we are born again. What we do today is what matters most.
- The past is already gone, the future is not yet here. There's only one moment for you to live.
- One moment can change a day, one day can change a life and one life can change the world.
- Whatever words we utter should be chosen with care for people will hear them and be influenced by them for good or ill.
- True love is born from understanding.
- If you light a lamp for somebody, it will also brighten your path.
- If you knew what I know about the power of giving you would not let a single meal pass without sharing it in some way.
- Three things can not hide for long: the Moon, the Sun and the Truth.
- There are only two mistakes one can make along the road to truth; not going all the way, and not starting.