Muslims around the world will be observing Ramadan, the first day of the Islamic holy month by the same name, this week. It will begin depending on the sighting of the new moon.
Throughout the next 30 days, Muslims around the world observe fast, pray from dawn to dusk, and abstain from smoking and sex. They break their fast after sunset by having dates, which is known as "Iftaar".
Muslims observe the month of Ramadan, which marks the anniversary of the Quran being revealed to Prophet Mohammed. The observance is regarded as one of the Five Pillars of Islam along with belief, worship, charitable donations and the pilgrimage to Mecca. Ramadan concludes with Eid ul-Fitr, when morning prayers are followed by feasting and celebrations.
On the occasion, IBTimes Singapore has picked up top ten quotes to share with family and friends to mark the holy month.
- Ramadan is the month whose beginning is mercy, whose middle is forgiveness and whose end is freedom from fire.
- Whosoever recites only one 'Ayat' in Holy Ramadan, he will be awarded as if he had recited the full Quran in other months.
- Whoever prays at night in Ramadan out of faith and in the hope of reward, his previous sins will be forgiven.
- It was the Ramadan month, when Quran was sent down to earth as a gift to the entire mankind, giving us guidance to live our life and know the difference between right and wrong.
- When the month of Ramadan starts, the gates of heaven are opened and the gates of hell are closed and devils are tied up.
- Whoever Allah wishes to show goodness, he gives him understanding of the religion.
- Even if all the trees on earth were pens, and the ocean inks, with seven more oceans added to it, the words of Allah would not be exhausted: for Allah is infinite in power and wisdom.
- Ramadan is the month to fast, pray, read Quran and do charity and in return receive rich rewards from Allah.
- Ramadan month is the month to feel hunger, hunger the poor people face every day and share the sorrow of sick people, to review our lives and get closer to Allah.
- If you open your heart and ask honestly from Allah, he is not going to ignore you, but he will focus on you to make you happy.