Nexus 6 users can now relish stock Android Nougat experience on their handsets as the manual download links for the Android 7.1.1 over-the-air (OTA) update are now available. As Google's OTA firmware files are being rolled out in phases, only some users in specific regions are able to install the software automatically, using the software update section from their device's settings menu.
If you are among those unlucky few who missed the OTA via official channels or cannot wait for the official release of the update in your country, you could still download the update manually and install the same using the ADB sideload method.
Interested users may go ahead and install the Android 7.1.1 Nougat OTA, using the step-by-step guide posted below. IBTimes SG reminds readers that it will not be held liable for any damage to device during or after the firmware installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- The software and the instructions provided in this tutorial are meant for the Nexus 6 model only. Do not attempt installing this firmware on any other variant as it could inadvertently brick your device.
- You need to be running stock Android firmware in order install this new Android 7.1.1 update on your handset. It will not work on rooted or modified firmware or custom ROMs.
- Enable USB Debugging mode via Developer Options in your phone's Settings menu. Also, ensure that OEM Unlock option is enabled from the same Developer Options menu. If Developer Options is hidden, just navigate to Settings > About Phone and tap 7 times on the build number listed there.
- Verify that your phone has at least 80% charge before you begin the firmware installation process. This is to ensure that your handset does not turn off unexpectedly during the installation process as it could brick your phone permanently.
How to install and configure Android SDK
- Download Android SDK package and install it on your computer
- Now open the SDK installation directory, locate SDK manager.exe and launch it
- Download the necessary SDK packages and USB drivers via SDK Manager
- Browse and locate the freshly created platform-tools folder. It should be inside the SDK installation directory.
How to install Android 7.1.1 Nougat OTA image on Nexus 6 or 6P
- Download the Android 7.1.1 N6F26Q OTA image file from the download links provided.
- Once the download is complete, just rename the file to "update.zip. You can now extract the archived files on your PC to the platform-tools folder.
- Power off the Nexus device.
- Boot the device into Fastboot mode by pressing and holding Volume Down, Volume Up and Power buttons together. Now release all the buttons, but continue holding the volume buttons until the Recovery mode window appears. Then hit the Power button to select it and then simultaneously hit the Volume Up button to boot inro recovery.
- Now select "apply update from adb" option in the Recovery mode.
- Plug-in your device to the computer via USB cable.
- Go to platform-tools folder and launch command prompt there. Now start the OTA installation by entering the following command: adb sideload update.zip
- Once the installation is done, you will get a confirmation alert in the command prompt window.
- Disconnect the device from computer when the installation finishes and then reboot/restart the phone.
That's it. Your Nexus 6 is now running Android 7.1.1 OTA build N6F26Q.
[Source: Android Geeks]