Motorola Moto Maxx and Droid Turbo users can now taste the Android 7.0 Nougat update on their device with due credit to the release of crDroid ROM by the industrious Android custom ROM developers.
According to folks at XDA, several features from the previous Marshmallow release are still working fine with the new Android 7.0 Nougat update. However, the CyanogenMod (CM) specific features may not be fully functional with the new crDroid ROM.
Some of the key features ported into the Android 7.0 crDroid ROM as reported by XDA senior member bhb27 are listed below:
- Pre-installed SliN BHB27 Kernel - a "Slim" version of the custom kernel modified for Nougat update with its main controls and UI improvements tweaked for 100% stable experience.
- The ROM comes Pre-Rooted
- Turbo Toast app with support for Turbo Charging like in stock ROM
- iSu app - a app to activate/deactivate CM building SU helps to use app that don't allow use on Rooted devices
- BHB27 Mod Kernel Auditor - a app to control many aspects of the kernel for giving the user total control of kernel functions and information on how the device is indicating deep sleep time, battery status, logs etc. (images below)
- Permission to install Motorola apps direct from play *included VVM (VVM may only be accessible with the link, click here and chose open with play)
- Notification LED support
- All the custom featuring of Cyanogen available to Quark Like:
- CMaction used to control quark sensor to enable gestures for ambient display, pick-up and Wave to wake the screen, Actions Double-Twist and Chop-Chop to lunch the camera or flash light
- Support for all quark models (XT1225, XT1250 and XT1254)
- Crossflashing & Configuration Override (You can crossflash radio image for a different variant of the phone, but the automated setup will not pick it up. Thus you'll need to manually override it through fastboot) check CM13.0 thread #1 post for how to and files CM-13 thread click here
- Plus many others minor featuring, improves and bugs FIX that I have add for the past year to custom ROM for quark
Interested Moto Maxx and Droid Turbo users may go ahead and install the new Android 7.0 Nougat based custom ROM, using the step-by-step guide posted below.
Steps to install Android 7.0 Nougat update on Moto Maxx and Droid Turbo with crDroid ROM
- Download the latest build of Android 7.0 crDroid ROM and Google Apps package for your Motorola smartphone.
- Boot your device into TWRP recovery mode. Note: it is recommended to backup your important data and settings on the device, before you proceed.
- If you are installing the crDroid ROM on top of another custom ROM, then you must perform Wipe Data on your smartphone's internal storage (without using an SD card or external storage).
- Now perform Wipe System and Wipe Cache/dalvik.
- You can now browse and select the ROM file you downloaded earlier and hit the Install button from the recovery menu. Repeat the same step after reboot to install GApps as well.
- Once again reboot the phone after both the ROM and Gapps are installed.
That's it. Your Moto Maxx or Droid Turbo should now be running on the latest Android Nougat software.
In case you encounter the error message "unknown command", you should ignore it as this is a known issue with all Nougat devices running the latest TWRP software.