Moto G4 Plus owners are in for some great news as the industrious members of XDA Developers forum have successfully captured the Android 7.0 Nougat over-the-air (OTA) update file for the flagship phone. The OTA zip file is compatible only with the Indian (Athene Retail) variants of the G4 Plus smartphone including XT1643, XT1640, XT1626 and XT1644.
Assuming that you are still running the stock kernel on your G4 Plus, here's how you can install the latest Nougat update (leaked via soak test) on your handset unofficially:
- Ensure the latest USB drivers for Moto G4 Plus are installed on your computer
- Make sure that the phone has at least 70% battery charge before you proceed
- Backup your important data and settings on the phone to avoid data loss during the OTA firmware installation
- Ensure that you have sufficient unused space on your handset's internal storage. You may try uninstalling unnecessary apps or deleting some older photos and videos to free up some space.
Steps to manually install Android 7.0 Nougat update on Moto G4 Plus via leaked OTA file
Step1: Download the Android 7.0 OTA zip file from the link provided (above).
Step 2: Copy/paste the downloaded OTA file to your phone's internal storage.
Step 3: Boot your G4 Plus into recovery mode as follows:
- Turn off your handset completely by pressing and holding the Power button.
- Now press and hold Volume Up and Volume Down buttons along with the Power button together. Note: On some devices, you might use Volume Up + Power to boot into recovery.
Step 4: Wait until the device boots into the recovery mode and then choose "Update from SD card".
Step 5: Browse and select the downloaded Nougat zip file to begin the firmware installation.
Step 6: You may have to wait for around ten minutes until the installation completes. Then hit the Reboot button or hit OK when prompted for restarting your device.
That's it. Your Moto G4 Plus is now running the official Android 7.0 Nougat OTA update.