The devotees of Lord Krishna around the world are gearing up to mark Janmashtami on 25 August. This festival, which is also called Krishna Janmashtami or Gokulashtami, marks the birth of Lord Krishna.
Devotees celebrate the auspicious occasion by chanting holy mantras, read religious scripture Bhagavad Gita, and conduct bhajans. As a part of the celebrations, Dahi Handi and Rasa Lila are also observed.
Dahi Handi is celebrated based on the legend that Krishna would steal butter from gopis (milkmaids) of Vrindavan. To celebrate Dahi Handi, an earthen pot filled with buttermilk is placed at a particular height. A human pyramid is formed to break the earthen pot.
Rasa Lila is another significant aspect of the festival. According to the legend, Rasa Lila is a dance performed by Krishna along with Radha and other gopis.
In Singapore, processions and celebrations are held at Shree Lakshmi Narayan Temple at Chander Road in Little India district.
IBTimes Singapore has gathered top quotes by Lord Krishna from Bhagavad Gita to mark Krishna Janmashtami 2016.
- There are three gates leading to the hell — Lust, Anger and Greed.
- Man is made by his belief. As he believes, so he is.
- Whatever happened was good, what's happening, it's going well, whatever will happen, will also be good. You need not have any regrets from the past. Do not worry for the future. Live in the present.
- We are kept from our goal, not by obstacles, but by a clear path to a lesser goal.
- It is better to perform one's own duties imperfectly than to master the duties of another.
- No one should abandon duties because he sees defects in them. Every action, every activity, is surrounded by defects as a fire is surrounded by smoke.
- Abandon all attachment to the results of action and attain supreme peace.
- Strive to still your thoughts. Make your mind one-pointed in meditation. The mind is restless and difficult to restrain, but it is subdued by practice.
- Strive constantly to serve the welfare of the world; by devotion to selfless work one attains the supreme goal of life. Do your work with the welfare of others always in mind.
- A gift is pure when it is given from the heart to the right person at the right time and at the right place, and when we expect nothing in return.