Owners of OnePlus 2 are in for some great news as the industrious CyanogenMod team has released the latest Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update for the flagship handset via CynogenMod 13 (CM13) ROM.
The CM13 ROM is now available for manual download and installation, with due credit to XDA senior member Seraph08 for uploading the firmware files on the popular developer forum. The other contributors to the ROM development include XDA recognised developer Grarak and senior member Mahdi786.
IBTimes SG reminds readers it will not be held liable for any damage to the device during or after the CM13 ROM installation. Users are advised to proceed at their own risk.
- The instructions given in this guide are meant for the OnePlus 2 model only. Verify device model number by navigating to Settings > About Phone.
- Ensure the phone has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown (due to battery drain) while installing the ROM.
- Back up data and settings using a recommended custom recovery tool, like ClockworkMod (CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup. In Recovery, choose Backup and Restore and tap Backup.
- Verify correct USB drivers for the phone are installed on the computer (download OnePlus 2 USB drivers).
- Enable USB Debugging mode via Settings > Developer Options (if running Android 4.0 or above) or Settings > Applications > Development (if running Android 2.3 or earlier).
- Ensure that the device is rooted with CWM recovery installed and its bootloader is unlocked.
Steps to Install Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow via CyanogenMod 13 ROM on OnePlus 2
Step 1 - Download Android 6.0.1 CyanogenMod 13 custom ROM for OnePlus 2 on the computer.
Step 2 - Connect and mount the phone's USB mass storage on computer with USB cable.
Step 3 - Now, copy the downloaded CM13 ROM zip file to the root folder on the phone's SD card.
Step 4 - Power off the phone and disconnect its USB cable from the computer.
Step 5 - Boot the device into Recovery Mode by pressing and holding Volume Down and Power buttons together.
Step 6 - Once the phone enters CWM Recovery, perform a full data wipe task by clicking Wipe Data/Factory Reset. Use the Volume keys to navigate between options and Power button to select an option in the Recovery Mode.
Step 7 - Perform Wipe Cache Partition and wait until the process completes.
Step 8 - Perform Wipe Dalvik Cache as well. To do this, go to 'advanced'option and then click Wipe Dalvik Cache. This will help in preventing boot loop issues or any boot ROM related errors during firmware installation.
Step 9 - Then return to the main recovery menu and chooseInstall Zip from SD card.
Step 10 - ClickChoose Zip from SD card. Use volume keys to navigate to the CM13 ROM zip file that you copied earlier to your phone's SD card and choose it by tapping the Power button. Confirm the ROM installation on next screen and the installation process will begin.
Note: Repeat step 9 and step 10 to install Google Apps (Gapps) as well.
Step 11 - Once the ROM and Gapps installation completes, go to "+++++Go Back+++++" and select Reboot System Now in the Recovery menu.
The phone will now reboot and the first boot may take about five minutes to complete. So, please be patient.
Your OnePlus 2 is now running the latest Android Marshmallow update via CM13 custom ROM. Go to Settings > About phone to verify the firmware version installed.
For further assistance or more details, head over to the original developer thread on XDA forums.