Galaxy S5 users are in for some good news as Samsung has officially rolled out the highly-anticipated Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow update for the smartphone with build number G900HXXU1CPE6 in Kazakhstan.
Though the firmware is being rolled out as a manual update for Kazakhstan, it is officially compatible with all G900H models. Interested users can follow the step-by-step guide posted below to install the latest Android firmware manually on their Galaxy S5 via Odin.
Note: The installation of this firmware will not void the warranty on your device as it is a stock firmware and not a custom firmware from third-party Android developers. The XXU1CPE6 update is confirmed to be stable and it brings a bunch of bug fixes as well as security improvements over the previous release.
- Backup important data and settings on the Galaxy S5 G900H before you proceed with the firmware installation
- Ensure the phone has at least 80% battery charge to prevent unexpected device shutdown during installation which could inadvertently brick the device
- Verify that USB debugging is enabled via Menu > Settings > Developer options (if developer options are missing, just tap repeatedly on the build number via Menu > Settings > About Phone until the option appears)
- This tutorial is meant for Galaxy S5 SM-G900H model only. Do not attempt this procedure on any other phone as it could permanently damage the hardware.
How to update Galaxy S5 SM-G900H with Android 6.0.1 XXU1CPE6 Marshmallow official firmware
- Download the official Android M XXU1CPE6 firmware using the link provided.
- Save the downloaded file to the desktop.
- Now download Odin and extract it to your computer. Then install it by following the onscreen instructions.
- Wait until Odin is installed. Then launch it on the computer. Ensure that the Galaxy S5 USB drivers are installed on the PC.
- Turn off your phone and reboot it into download mode. When the device shuts down, press and hold the Power, Volume Down and Home buttons at the same time; then connect your device to the computer via USB cable.
- Odin will now communicate with the Galaxy S5 and the "added" message will be displayed on the screen. Wait until the ID: COM field turns yellow or blue. If not, reinstall USB drivers before repeating the steps from above.
- In Odin, select the AP option in order to load the Marshmallow firmware file.
- Verify that Re-Partition and Auto Reboot options are unchecked. Then click on the Start button and wait until the flashing process completes.
- Finally, the green "Pass" message will be displayed and the ID: COM box will turn green. It is now safe to remove the USB cable and reboot your device.