Diwali, or Deepavali, is the biggest Hindu Festival celebrated every year. The holiday is also known as the Festival of Lights because of the common practice of lighting small oil lamps (called diyas) and placing them around the home, in courtyards, gardens, verandahs, on the walls and on roof tops.
The five-day festival starts on the 13th lunar day of Krishna paksha (dark fortnight) of the Hindu calendar month, Ashwin. This year, Diwali falls on Sunday, 30 October.
During Diwali, Hindus offer prayers to Goddess Lakshmi (the deity of wealth and riches), asking for her blessings and a prosperous year ahead. They visit the homes of their friends and relatives, share sweets and burst crackers.
IBTimes Singapore brings you a compilation of interesting Diwali quotes and wishes that can be sent to your dear ones.
- Hope this festival of lights brings you every joy and happiness. May the lamps of joy illuminate your life and fill your days with the bright sparkles of peace and goodwill. Have a joyous Diwali and new year!
- With the gleam of diyas and the echo of the chants, may happiness and contentment fill your life. Wishing you and your family a very happy and prosperous Diwali!
- May you have all the joy your heart can hold, all the smiles a day can bring, all the blessings a life can unfold, May you get the world's best in everything. Wishing you happy Diwali 2016!
- Gulab jamuns, rasgullas, laddus, crackers and diyas, all are back here to announce the arrival of Diwali! So get ready to celebrate the festival of lights. Happy Diwali!
- Light a lamp of love! Blast a chain of sorrow! Shoot a rocket of prosperity! Fire a flowerpot of happiness! Wish you and your family sparkling Diwali!
- On Diwali, wishing you for every joy and prosperity. Here's hoping that the beauty of this festival of lights brings a world of joy, happiness and contentment to you to last the whole year through. Happy Diwali!
- May the warmth and splendour that are a part of this auspicious occasion fill your life with happiness and cheer, and bring to you joy and prosperity for the whole year.
- This Diwali may you be blessed with good fortune, wealth, prosperity, and happiness. Happy Diwali 2016!
- Wish you success in your career and happiness for your family! Have A Wonderful Diwali and New Year!
- Let this Diwali burn all your bad times and bring you good times. Wishing you fun, frolic and endless celebration!! Happy Diwali to you!