Brussels attacker Fayçal Cheffou: Radical freelance journalist with a past
A girl lights candles as people pay tribute to the victims of Tuesday's bomb attacks, at the Place de la Bourse in Brussels, Belgium, March 26, 201 Reuters

Belgian prosecutors have charged a man arrested on Thursday for terrorist killings and attempted murders over the Brussels bombing that killed 31 people.

The arrested man, Fayçal Cheffou, had played the core role in planning and attacking the attack, Belgian authorities said.

He has been identified as the man appearing dressed in long jacket and hat, alongside bombers Ibrahim el-Bakraoui and Najim Laachraoui, in CCTV footage from the Zaventem airport.

Cheffou, had been destined several times in the past, authorities revealed.

Isis claims Brussels carnage, police on hunt for suspect
This CCTV image from the Brussels Airport surveillance cameras made available by Belgian Police, shows what officials believe may be suspects in the Brussels airport attack on March 22, 2016. The Belgian state prosecutor said in a press conference on Tuesday, that a photograph of three male suspects was taken at Zaventem. "Two of them seem to have committed suicide attacks. The third, wearing a light-coloured jacket and a hat, is actively being sought," the prosecutor said.

The 31-year-old, a freelance journalist, was arrested a number of times after he incited asylum seekers to turn radicals, and subsequently banned from a park, Mayor Yvan Mayeur told a French newspaper.

The brother of Cheffou had been shot and killed by police during a raid more than a decade ago.

Karim Cheffou was on the hunt for several robberies, and a search of his home revealed a Kalashnikov and a bag full of grenades the Guardian reported.

Cheffou, a self styled journalist, was on record fomenting racial hatred in several Youtube videos. In one of his posts he was seen saying "Belgian Muslims must act urgently to stop the abuses," and that they were the oppressed ones.

The other arrested men, Aboubakar A. and Rabah N. were charged with terrorist activities and membership of a terrorist group.

Meanwhile, Belgian authorities called off a 'march against fear' in Brussels as more evidence emerged connecting the attackers with the same terror cell behind the Paris attacks that killed 130 people.

Authorities also said the international airport will not reopen before Tuesday.

The 'March against Fear' was canalled on the request of the authorities, Brussels mayor Yvan Mayeur said.

"The security of our citizens is an absolute priority," said march organizer Emmanuel Foulon, according to Reuters.

"We totally agree with the authorities' request to delay this plan for a later date. We in turn ask citizens not to come to Brussels this Sunday."

Earlier, the Islamic State claimed the responsibility for Brussels bombing and warned "crusader states" allied against it were in for more such attacks.

Isis said in statement 'caliphate soldiers' targeted the airport and metro station "strapped with suicide vests and carrying explosive devices and machineguns."